Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Bubble Map and Sample Paragraph about Me




If you would like to create your bubble map using the Thinking map software check out Ms. Roehl's blog at http://www.english10msroehl.blogspot.com for detailed directions. Or if you prefer the old-fashioned method of pen and paper that will be sufficient for this first assignment.


Most honeymoons involve a healthy dose of rest and relaxation. However, my husband and I, being adventurous backcountry campers decided to ride the Alaska Marine Highway Ferry throughout the inner-passage of Alaska for a month, stopping to camp, hike and kayak at various towns along the way. No posh cruise ships for us. At one of our ferry-stops, we ventured into Glacier National Park, found park rangers to drop us in the backcountry with kayaks, tents, raingear, and enough supplies for a week. The boat would be back for us in 7 days. The rest was up to us. On the third day of our adventure, Erik and I pitched our tent at the mouth of a salmon-fed stream. Erik went off to pump some fresh water and I graciously offered to stay back in the tent and read. After I realized that Erik had been gone for what seemed like an hour, I poked my head out of the tent. There were glaciers in front of me, ice floes to my right, and as I swiveled my head around to the left, a massive grizzly bear ambling his way to the mouth of the stream where Erik had gone to retrieve our water. He looked hungry and I was convinced Erik was the main course. I tried to recall the videos I had watched at the ranger station. "Make lots of noise.” “Don't startle the bear.” “Don't turn your back to the bear.” “Assume a non-threatening posture.” “Play dead if the bear attacks." So I disregarded all of this advice, and hopped into my kayak to see if I could find the gnarled body of my beloved. As I paddled into the bay, my mind was racing. At first I was frightened. Then I moved to the frenzied stage. Finally, I was just plain angry that he had gone and gotten himself killed so early into the marriage. As I paddled further into the bay, I spotted in the distance, a small dot bobbing along the surface of the water. It was moving slowly toward me. To my shock, amazement, and relief I spotted Erik - perfectly in tact, with full water bottles and a look of wonder on his face. He had been floating through the bay in our kayak, looking at bald eagles and checking out the glaciers towering above our campsite. Insert a big sigh of relief here. As a follow-up, I am happy to report that despite 48 straight hours of rain while living in a tent, and one hypothetical bear attack, our marriage is still going strong. We are still camping, hiking, backpacking, and always looking for the next big adventure. (Bears not included.)





No comments:

Post a Comment